Belahov’s house is one of the most fascinating mansions built in 1880s in Cherkasy. It belonged to the Belahov family. It was designed in late modern style with a touch of Empire style. It totally matched the preferences of the middle class bourgeoisie of those times in Cherkasy. The first floor was occupied with shops of manufactured goods that were rented by other merchants. On the second floor the Belahov family lived. It was a place where Cherkasy citizens discovered cinematography. At the end of summer 1908 the merchant Belahov purchased in Paris movie projector and together with his relatives demonstrated silent movies to the citizens of Cherkasy. It was the first cinema in Cherkasy for 120 seats. By the way in the same building the entrepreneur Shkolnikov produced sodas and sparkling water. And in the shop here it was possible to buy the drinks. That is why this part of Khreshchatyk street was crowded in the summer as all people wanted not only to enjoy art but also quench the thirst. Shkolnikov also successfully sold his goods from small carts. After the revolution, in Belahov’s mansion there was a club for youth and other governmental institutions. Before WWII the first floor was occupied with shops, the second floor – with department of trade and later regional department of cinematography. Nowadays there is a regional organization National Union of Writers of Ukraine. The facility even now attracts people with its architectural elegance. Address: Cherkasy, 219 Khreshchatyk Str.
The house of the Tsybulski brothers, Cherkasy merchants Andriy and Yuhym, was built in 50s of XIX century. The brothers had rooming houses (with flats for rent) in Mytnytsia and Podil. They also were the owners of some brick factories and sawmills. They were also famous as patrons. In their building from 18 to 22nd of July 1859 lived T.G. Shevchenko.
The building was reconstructed in the beginning of XX century and styled in classicism. Once it was the tallest building in the city. The third floor is decorated with floral ornamentation made of hewn bricks. The double long windows are shaped with vignettes. It was a new fashion of those times. On the top there is a small dome.
After reconstruction in the end of the XIX century the second and the third floors became home for Petersburg account and loan bank. The first floor was occupied with shops. In soviet times in the building for a long time there was a hairdresser’s and a shop (on the first floor), a city bank (on the second floor). In May 1989 in honor of 130 anniversary of Shevchenko’s stay in Cherkasy and 175 years from his birthday there was opened Ukraine’s first and only museum in the world of one book – dedicated to the collection “Kobzar” by Shevchenko. The museum shows the history of the publication of works of the poet, the source of his work, the most interesting publications. There are many rare publications of “Kobzar”. The star of the exhibition is the first publication of “Kobzar”, issued in 1840 in Petersburg. It is printed on a high-quality paper and a clear font is one among the ten that are left. In the collection there are also different types “Kobzar” translated into other languages for more than 150 years.
The house of Tyverovski.
The building of a former commercial bank was created in 1912 on order of entrepreneurs Tyverovski. This is a three-storey building styled in modern with some baroque elements. It has an asymmetrical plan.
The house was located in a prestigious part of Cherkasy–“Khreshchatytskyi piatachok” that made it successful. So in a year after opening there were located trade institutions. The first floor was occupied with the pharmacy, a shop and a casino. On the second floor there was a commercial city bank. Only rich citizens of Cherkasy lived in the house. During the First World War there was a casino. There performed a famous singer F.I. Shaliapin. After the WWII a hospital and other governmental offices were located here. In 60s it became a home for a company “CherkasyRemBud”, ambulance depot and emergency room. Now the building is used for offices and in some part of the first floor there is located a shoestore.
About the project
Find & Follow is a travel project of the telecom operator Vodafone Ukraine. The main goal is to support the development of domestic tourism, local communities, small businesses and the creation of digital infrastructure for travel in Ukraine. Innovative pedestrian QR-routes are available in Kyiv, Lviv, Chernivtsi, Poltava, Cherkasy, Uzhhorod and Kherson. Routes consist of signs with QR-codes, which are placed near cultural and historical monuments, and arrows indicating the path. Having read the code on the plate, the tourist receives all the necessary information about the place near which he is. We add Village Tours to our country trips. These are weekend routes through Ukrainian villages, where it is safe, sparsely populated, incredibly interesting and beautiful.
How to route use?
Увімкніть свій смартфон та впевніться, що мобільний інтернет активовано.
How to route use?
Запустіть додаток розпізнавання QR кодів..
How to route use?
Наведіть камеру смартфону на QR код на табличці.